Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old bulbs

Posted by plantnut65 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 23:25

I recently found a box in the crawlspace of my family's old home, it was full of about two hundred old plant bulbs of all shapes and size quite a variety. Most, if you peel the onion type skin from them have a hard center yet soft enough to cut it in half with a knife., I have never messed with bulbs let alone old ones. Should I just toss them or what?
I'm reminded of scientist finding seeds for olive tree in the tomb of someone and planting the seeds, and getting a old long gone variety of olive tree, who knows?
If there's a possibility, how do I proceed? Have no idea what kind they are, guess that's what make the whole thing a want to do, thing. will appreciate any come back!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old bulbs

Well all you will be out is your time, if you have a place to plant them and find out if any are still viable. Al

o

Cool! You should totally plant them and see what you get! Some kinds of bulbs can survive a long time unplanted. You never know what you might get!

o

Plant the bulbs as deep as about 3 times their size. A 2" bulb would get planted about 6 inches deep, etc.

Be prepared for rodents and other pests to dig them up. Sounds like fun to try planting them.

o

And...once you have them in the ground be sure to take a 'before' picture.

Then in April of next year, take an 'after' picture.

And post both of them here!

Jim

o

can i plant these after I harvest the winter gardens, because all my gardens are replanted now with fall through winter varieties and should I divide them out in size, I had planned to simply arrange the bulbs with top up. Included is a picture of now

o

An update,
Sorry, the bulbs were to old I guess, none have come up, not even a hint. all of the bulbs that have been here for years, have already come up and some have even bloomed already, but sadly no others, Thanks much.

o

Don't give up on them yet. They look like glads from the picture and if old and dried out it will take some time to show any above the ground growth. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here