Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant daffodil bulbs?

Posted by superpony123 NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 2:12

I live in NJ. I have about 180 daffodil bulbs I've ordered, and now I need to know when to plant :D Oh boy! (140 dutch masters, and 40 various pink ones)

The packaging is fairly vague. It suggests that for the northern chunk of the US, plant before freezing anytime between sept-nov. *scratch head* well, I think we usually start getting frosts in october. But, it seems like riiight up until frost, it can be roasting too! We've got some daffs that were already here when we bought this house (eons ago..) but we've never really planted any on our own. I just feel like if I planted these in the next week or two, the heat might ruin them? Am I wrong in thinking this? When should I plant these? Lately, our temperatures change weekly. It seems to be anywhere from 70-95!

I'm trying to get these "out of the way" I guess you could say (as in, i'm hoping to plant these ASAP because I've got about 200 tulip bulbs to plant later as well as iris, hyacinth, and others. I know--i'm super excited for NEXT spring, but not terribly excited about digging the hundreds of holes ;D)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant daffodil bulbs?

You can start planting them now. Daffodils will need to settle a little and start growing roots before the ground freezes.

Yeah, might as well get them out of the way before your other bulbs arrive. lol. But you have have to mark where you've planted your daff. so you won't dig into them when you start with your other bulbs. :-)

Hvae fun digging. :-D

o
RE: When to plant daffodil bulbs?

Here in my zone 5/6 I was told by the Daffodil Society, to not start planting before the first of Oct. The soil should be cooled some by then which is best for planting. If the soil is too warm, they might bake or even rot if too wet before they broke dormancy and started to root themselves in.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here