Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hemnancy

Lycoris vs Amaryllis belladonna

hemnancy
17 years ago

If anyone has grown both Lycoris squamigera and Amaryllis belladonna, which do you like better for color, how long the blooms last, and fragrance? The Lycoris is said to be hardier by McClure and Zimmerman in their catalog.

They are said to be toxic, so did anyone have problems with they being eaten by voles or other animals?

Comments (6)

• Nancy
    17 years ago

I have done 4 different trades for magic lilies & lycoris. I am not sure if any of those trades might have been belladonna, but one has more blue tipped tones that I really like, so I have been thinking maybe it is a different plant. I haven't noticed particular fragrance, blooms last about a week I guess, not that long really, but so pretty while they are there. This year I only had one batch bloom, foliage came up on the others in the spring, but they didn't bloom for some reason. I don't think they need to be divided, I haven't had them that long. I haven't had problems with them being eaten by anything, & don't know anyone else having that problem.

• hemnancy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A thread on the nwest forum had some interesting points, that if the plant is not in full sun and heat it may not bloom, and that the foliage can be injured by frosts. I think I'm getting cold feet on them considering how short of a time they bloom.

• beetleman
    14 years ago

I have grown both, belladonna is by far the better flower
    unfortunately it is NOT hardy, I have the common lycoris- quite hardy here, a bit slow to multiply but tough - I have not killed any here in zone5/6. I would love to grow the other species whicha re less hardy- but have not found any locally for less than $50

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

Belladonna may take several years to bloom after being moved or divided. They are tolerant of our long dry summers and are not eaten by anything nor have any pest problems. Usually they are to be found in a neglected area of the garden where they are well able to fend for themselves. Al

• Donna
    14 years ago

This is a quote from Scott Ogden's Garden Bulbs for the South: "A common bulb of California gardens and a native of winter rainfall areas in the Western Cape (of Africa), Amaryllis belladonna (Cape belladonna) is itself sometimes planted in the South, but may rot from excessive summer moisture unless planted by a dry foundation or in a raised bed. If winter temperatures fall below 20F, leaves may be damaged and this, along with the lack of a dry summer to ripen the bulbs, often prevents bloom in the South."

I have had belladonna bulbs for six years now, planted near a foundation on an upper slope and a southern exposure. They come up each year, each year with more leaves. They have never bloomed. I don't know if this helps you in your climate or not, but I doubt anyone would argue that the lycoris are easier to grow.

• jaceysgranny
    14 years ago

I have lycoris and it took years for it to bloom for me. I mean like 7 or 8 years. Then I dug them up, threw most of them away and gave some away keeping about 3. I didn't even know what they were, some lady brought them to our store and asked my DH to give them to her friend who would be stopping by for them. She never showed so I planted them. Anyway, the 3 I kept, I moved and wouldn't you know it, they bloomed the next year and have each year since. The often sulk too when moved so give them time to see.

Nancy

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA