Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornithogalum ID needed

Posted by arcana 9b, Greece (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 29, 09 at 7:51

Ok this guy is native to Greece and since to my inexperienced eye all white-flowering forms look about the same i'm gonna need your help to put a name.

Ornithogalum ID

Question No2:The pics are from last year.Right now the plant has just started making new leaves.Is it a good time to repot now or i should have done it while it was dormant?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornithogalum ID needed

Sorry, I can't help you with question no. 1. In answer of no. 2, just on general principals, I would have tried to transplant before new foliage showed. You probably can still get away with it, but you'll have to be real careful to avoid root damage, if you want bloom this spring. Good luck! : ])

o

Thanx tugbrethil for your advice. I think i'll play it safe this year and repot the next.
Anybody make a wild guess for the ID?I guess it will be more difficult than i thought with so many similar forms...

o

Well, Ornithogalum all look about the same to my untrained eye to be honest, but how about O. montanum? The leaves are pressed against the soil like yours, is from the right part of the world.....could be.....I would look at the nice pics on the IBS and PBS web sites to see if you can figure it out. Nice looking plant whatever species it is :o) Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Bulb Society

o

If you were potting on into a larger container you could probably get away with refreshing the mix, and cause only minimal root disturbance. Excellent drainage required.

Otherwise you could try delicately scraping off the top inch of mix and replacing with fresh. (Topdressing.)

As it is Ornithogalum - beware of little bulbils near the surface and be careful where you put the old mix. Some Ornithogalums have weedy tendencies under their dainty flowers.

I'd second Dan's choice of O montanum. It seems a bit short to be O nutans.

o

You guys are great!Thanx a bunch for the info.I think i'll go ahead with repotting after all, having generally a green thumb :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here