Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Van Bourgondien Wholesale--your experience?

Posted by joannemb 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 6, 09 at 8:25

I'm tempted to try, but for every positive review I find, there is a negative as well. I'm looking specifically at the mayblooming maureen tulips.... 1/2 the price of others (I'm looking to purchase about 150)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Van Bourgondien Wholesale--your experience?

btw, I'm speaking specifically of this website:
http://www.kvbwholesale.com/cart

Not this one:

http://www.dutchbulbs.com/store/tulips/11172

I'm guessing they are the same company---just one is wholesale?

o

I only ordered Dahlias from kvbwholesaler.
I have not ordered anything else because of the bad reviews.
I normally get other spring bulbs from Van Engelen.

o

I would also recommend VanEngelen. Top quality bulbs, competitive prices.
Have purchased from them for many years. No problems, great service
Here's their link for Maureen Tulips.

Here is a link that might be useful: VE - Maureen Tulips

o

I ordered lilies from them last spring. 2 came out mislabeled out of 6. Their Black and White Blend have yellow pixies mixed in. Since I purchased from their Spring Sale, they issued me in-store credit.

o

Stay away from VanBourgondien unless you want to take a chance receiving bad products. It's a crap shoot at best.

o

I ordered 3 "La Reve" lilies from Van Bourgondien...what arrived was a bag filled with mushy, stinking goop. I called and complained, and they sent me replacments- one was mushy and the other two looked okay, if somewhat puny. Neither one was "La Reve"- one was a yellow Asiatic and the other was an ugly orange tiger lily.

Needless to say, I wasn't impressed. Their catalogs are gorgeous, though.

o

Too iffy. I order from American Meadows in the off season. Never had a problem. Very good stuff. Currently 35% off.

o

Thank you so much everyone.... I will be passing!

o

I orderes a bunch of fall blooming crocus and they arrived on time and in fine condition. Most where sprouting already. I used the 1/2 off and was able to also get $10 off by signing up for email.

o

I have ordered bulbs in the fall from KVB Wholesale the last 3 years. I have had maybe three or four bulbs out of hundreds that were dried out or mushy. Most are very large healthy bulbs that have bloomed well. I have also seen the bad reviews on Garden Watchdog - but the vast majority of them seem to relate to perennial plants rather than bulbs.

My thought is that KVB is so much cheaper than most other places (especially in November or December when they discount deeply), that I don't mind one or two problem bulbs in a group of 200. If I were ordering a more expensive type of bulbs, I might go elsewhere first, but my experience with daffodils (primarily), crocus, scilla, etc. has been great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here