Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwinter cannas in-ground in Maryland?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 9:32

Has anyone successfully overwintered Cannas in the ground in the Baltimore/Washington area in MD? Some catalogs rate them as z7 but I've heard others in the area say they die even over mild winters here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwinter cannas in-ground in Maryland?

Probably a lot depends on how bad the winter is and where exactly they are planted. Even around here I've heard of people overwintering them, usually when they're planted up close to a foundation or south facing wall. You might have a pretty good chance!
Older varieties might be hardier, they seem more solid and go dormant more than some of the newer hybrids which try to keep growing all year.

o

I read after posting this that it's the cold/wet/clayey soil combo that kills them moreso than freezing here. They basically rot.

o

Hi,

Don't have cannas myself but the garden across the way has them come back each year. They are on a sloping lawn with good drainage.

o

Unless it's a very sheltered location, I wouldn't risk overwintering unless you have stock that you wouldn't mind losing. Since it's difficult to find virus-free stock of some cultivars, I would at least dig some.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 4:06

I had Canna Pretoria for years (7 or more) in Oklahoma in ground. Even survived the little ice age where we were -27F (with a heavy snow blanket) a couple years ago.

o

From southern Frederick County, MD - not once have cannas ever wintered over for me, and I've tried about five times now. Oddly, callas will come through nicely, because I lost track of them after frost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here