Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bulb storage 'til planting

Posted by maevesgarden 6b/7aPhiladelphia (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 9:44

Hi folks,

I'm new to planting bulbs in the northeast since I just bought a house here last winter. I just received my first order of narcissus (many different varieties), snowdrops, crocus...about 250 bulbs in all. We've had an unusually long, hot summer here and it was still approaching 90 degrees the other day, though now it has cooled to the upper 70s. It seems too early to plant as the soil is still quite warm. How do I store these bulbs until it is cool enough to plant? Are they ok in their bags in the garage or do they need refrigeration?

Thanks for your help to a newbie. I've always been a daff lover and am SO excited to see a display come spring and don't want to ruin the bulbs by doing something stupid :-)

-Maeve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bulb storage 'til planting

Are they ok in their bags in the garage or do they need refrigeration?
They should be fine in the garage and don't need refrigeration. I would however remove them from the box and sort of spread out the bags. You don't have critters (mice) in the garage, do you? If so, the daffodils would be fine, but the other bulbs might be eaten.

I just received my first order of narcissus (many different varieties)
Oh, what did you get? I'm a daffodil grower, shower, collector and always looking for some I don't already have. Possibly you have some I don't have. Possibly we could trade a few bulbs to both increase the number of varieties we grow...just wondering.

chemocurl...aka Sue

o

Hi Sue,

Sorry for the really tardy reply. After catching up on this forum I doubt very much I ordered anything you don't already have! I planted lots of Pheasant's Eye as I love the coloration. Otherwise I bought several packs of what was sold as "mixed pinks" from Bluestone; the naturalizing mix from White Flower Farm; and several bags of Minnows and Paperwhites for pots/forcing. Nothing exotic or unusual, I'm afraid.
-Maeve

o

Nothing exotic or unusual, I'm afraid.
Ah...but all sound like very nice choices. It sounds like you will have lots of different pretty springtime blooms.

Sue

o

Maeve - I love Pheasant's Eyes too - but if you haven't grown them before here's a hint. Don't worry if they look as if they're never going to flower. They are way later than the general run of narcissi.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here