Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some rookie questions

Posted by joannemb 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 19, 09 at 9:56

I am planting bulbs for the first time in containers. My husband is making me some large planters for the porch and I plan on overwintering them in the garage during the winter. My tulips should be arriving any day, but dh is dragging his feet and hasn't made the planters. How long can I store the bulbs before planting, and how should I store them? There are 100, so that may be too many for the fridge....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some rookie questions

They say to store bulbs in a cool, dry place that doesn't freeze. The garage will be fine for now, but if it's an attached garage, once freezing temps come you will need to insulate them so they won't freeze. I have had luck with those styrofoam coolers (or any other cooler).

That said, I have stored bulbs in my home at room temperature, planted them in January, and most of them turned out fine. Some of the smaller, special bulbs dried out (frits come to mind) but the daffs and tulips came up great.

If your garage is not attached to the house, the planters will also need to be put in a cooler or under a pile of blankets as well, to protect them from hard freezes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here