Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spanish Bluebells/Camassia

Posted by lvmygrdn1 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 10:51

What is your experience with these plants? Are they invasive? Deer resistant? I love the look of them in catalogs but wanted to get some real opinions. Thank you, Ree in MD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spanish Bluebells/Camassia

Camas is native to my area and a lovely, less common, slowly naturalizing bulb. The Spanish bluebells on the other hand are a weed here in the PNW and considered an invasive species in the UK. But both bulbs may perform differently in different parts of the country.

o

I grow Camassia leichtlinii and I'd agree that it is slow to increase. It prefers a damp soil and doesn't mind some shade.

Bluebells spread by seed, runners, offsets. They turn up anywhere, sun or shade and a wide range of soil types.

They dig themselves down into the soil and take on weird shapes. They look glorious when in flower and like an unkempt lawn thereafter. Their leaves produce a sort of mucus/slime when broken and they make a very effective weed suppressant. Nothing much survives the flop of the bluebell leaves.

Nice flowers. Best kept quarantined in pots and deadheaded very promptly. Only naturalise if you have acres of space and plan to stay with your garden for years.

o

Oh my! Vetivert8, I'm so glad I posted on GW. Thank you Gardengal48 for your input as well. They sound awful. Pretty is as pretty does. Thank you again. Ree in MD

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here