Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Caladium flop

I haven't used Caladiums in years and now I remember why. Just about the time there's hope for cooler weather (now) the leaves begin to flop. We had a brief cooler spell, but that just meant the temps dropped to the 70's, high 60's at night for a few days which, from what I've read, is not cool enough to make the leaves fall down. I always buy my Caladiums already growing in pots in the late spring and use them as potted plants for accent throughout the summer. They did fine in June/July/August, and have gotten plenty of water. But come September it's almost as if they just poop out. What gives?.....Maryl

Comments (2)

• Donna
    13 years ago

That's a puzzle. If they're in pots, maybe the soil is depleted of nutrients? Have you tried giving them a liquid fertilizer boost? The temperatures you describe should be GOOD for them, not cause them to flop.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They get what I think is adequate additional fertilizer to what they come planted with (Miracid or Rose Miracle Gro 1/2 strength every 3 weeks or so). Do you (or anyone) grow them and they stay upright until cold weather moves in? Since it seems to happen no matter where I've had them placed, I don't think it is shifting sunlight. But obviously I really don't have a clue about what's happening, just that throughout the years it seems to always be the same. A lot like Hostas. They start looking like poo about the same time as the Caladiums. I now know that with Hostas that's basically the nature of the beast...Thanks Donna...Maryl