Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??

Posted by bobk_stl Zone 5/6 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 07 at 11:20

Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either Breck's or Royal Dutch catalogs? If so, what was your experience and how were the bulbs? I am planning to order some spring flowering bulbs and trying to choose the best mailorder/internet source.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs?

Go to link below. It is a rating of various mail order bulb companies. Some nice gardenwebber put me on to this site and I confirmed past experience!

Here is a link that might be useful: davesgarden

o

I ordered from Breck's many, many years ago. I had no problems with them at all. However, time does things and perhaps there is new staff, owners, etc. as I have been reading for the past couple of years that they have been unreliable. I would check around and see what others have experienced. Dave's Garden Watchdog is a great source. If Breck's has something you absolutely have to have, try ordering one or two things and perhaps if they do not turn out to be reliable, you have not lost too much. It is up to you.

As for Royal Dutch Gardens, I do not think they have anything to do with the Dutch whatsoever. It is another one of those TY Ty type nurseries...absolute rubbish!

o

Scheepers is an excellent catalog.

o

I had a pitiful experience with Brecks several years ago. I got a glossy brochure showing their Pink Collection of Daffodils.

I ordered them and they were so disappointing. Seems the pictures of them were air brushed or something to make them appear as very pretty pink flowers. They were nothing in real life compared to their glossy pics.

Sue

o

I wouldn't. Go for Brent & Beckys, or Scheepers

o

The creme de la creme is Old House Gardens in Michigan, who sell very rare heirloom bulbs of all kinds, and also the beautiful and unusual. They are really pretty much in line with everyone else for price, a pleasant surprise, and their catalog and website are really fun to browse.

It depends on what you want though. If you just want some big yellow daffodils, I'd go to Costco and pay $15-18 for a 50 lb burlap bag of giant 'King Alfred type' bulbs. If you want more than a few, Van Engelen is the bulk supplying sister to John Scheepers. If you just want a few - Scheepers or Brent and Becky's are good and I think you do get true varieties. I would not count on the big box stores, Costco, etc to deliver what is in the picture. I've been burned too many times on that. The companies like Royal Dutch, Breck's etc are not suppliers of the highest quality bulbs, altho back when I ordered a few things they did eventually grow.

o

2013 - First time ordering from Dutch. Placed my (huge EXPENSIVE) order in mid-February. Checked mid-March to see when it would be shipped and if I would get notification when it was shipped - they said no notification, but I could check back any time to see what status was. Checked end of March; got standard response - 'items will be shipped when appropriate for your area, blah blah blah'. Checked early April and now, mid-April and still no shipment; only get the same standard response. It's been in the 70s and 80s here . . . All my beds are mulched - I had wanted to get them planted BEFORE I mulched. I have NO idea when I'll get anything. If they are not spectacular, they are going back and I will NEVER order from them again. Grrrrr.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here