Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lilly bulblets -- planting

Posted by ljpother 3a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 11, 09 at 11:22

How should I plant the little bulblets (the proper name would be handy) that appear on lilly stems? In the past, I have just dropped them on the ground where I would like a lilly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lilly bulblets -- planting

Since the bulbils (correct name) naturally just fall from the parent plant and sprout in place, simply dropping them where you want them to sprout is the least complicated way. They right themselves and pull themselves down into the ground to where they want to be without any human intervention.

In the past, I've collected the bulbils from my Lilium Tigrinum and planted them in a pot or little market pack - then buried the whole pot up to the rim in a sunny, out of the way spot. This way they're contained in one place and don't get pulled up or planted over by accident when they sprout in the spring; since they look like shiney, lanceolate blades of grass. I've left them that way for a couple of seasons until they've produced a new bulb that's big enough to handle easily and transplant.

Truth be told, it's a lot easier to just drop them in where you want them and mark/remember the spots where they are. You can scratch the surface of the soil and lightly cover them over.

o
RE: lilly bulblets -- planting

Thanks for the reply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here