Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Glory of the Snow' Chionodoxa luciliae

Posted by toronado3800 Z6 St. Louis (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 20, 09 at 11:59

Hello, just wandering over from the trees and conifers forums in need of some advice.

The Arbor Day Foundation has offered to send me 5 Purple Prince Tulips, 15 Ruby Giant Crocus and 15 Glory of the Snow bulbs in exchange for a $10 donation to their Tree City USA program.

As I have a new flower bed with some lighter foliaged Tiger Eyes Sumac and soon a Gold Rush Dawn Redwood this seems like a pretty good deal to get some spring contrast going for the next few years.

My wife is familiar with Crocus, I grow Tulips all over the place but I couldn't find much detailed information on this Glory of the Snow bulb. The bed in general gets sun from about 9 to 6. The soil seems deep enough and even though I have clay under it, being in the middle of a 800 foot long gentle hill it drains well.

Does Glory of the Snow have any odd PH or sun requirements or need poor soil? I have spots like that. Wikipedia says its a native of Turkey and someplace else says it naturalizes well by seed. Does that mean it's invasive and will take over my naturalized area a hundred feet away or just I'll get a couple new ones?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Glory of the Snow' Chionodoxa luciliae

Grows anywhere there is full or near-full sun, naturalizes well and is a nice in-the-lawn bulb. I planted a dozen about 40 years ago and now every Spring have thousands in the lawn Gorgeous! Bloom after species crocus but die off early so no problem.

The spread by seed as well as bulb spliting. Not invasive in the sense of Ornithogallum but a very good companion to nearly everything. Never been a problem for me as they seem to prefer the lawn to any other areas.

George

o

In the yard is an idea I did not have. I'll modify my plan to get the mail order ones started in this area with its later blooming companions and then trying to collect the seeds for any patter I can think of in the yard.

Thank you very much,
Marc

o

I grow it. Have never found it difficult or invasive.

In my opinion, though, lucillae is not the prettiest of the Chionodoxa. I bought it last fall when I could not find C. sardensis. Color is a paler blue with a lavender cast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here