Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
perenials for full sun

Posted by billda sePA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 7, 10 at 12:04

I'm planting bulbs in late October and would like s uggestions. Long blooming and low maintenance preferred.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: perenials for full sun

Most spring flowering bulbs bloom for only a couple of weeks, and most are low maintainance, except for the late large-flowering tulips, which sometimes can only be counted on as annuals and need planted every year. The best thing to do is to plant bulbs that flower in succession, early, mid-season and late, so you will have a blooms season that can last from late February (snow crocuses, winter aconite, snowdrops, early daffodils, scilla, chiondoxa, reticulata iris)followed by midseason (puskinia,large flowering crocus, specie tulips, early and mid-season tulips, grape hyacinths, large-flowered hyacinths, daffodils, camassia, fritillaria, anemone blanda) and even into May, late tulips, late daffodils such as Poeticus, leucojum, brodaiea, ornitogalum, wood hyacinths, tritellia or ipheion,(one of my very favorites and they bloom for weeks, periwinkle blue stars).

A few choices from each bloom season will give you a long and colorful spring!

One of my favorite catalogs is Van Engelen, Inc. It has a lot of information as well as a huge variety of bulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Engelen, Inc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here