Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs for cutting

Posted by gaia6b z6B MA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 12:10

Hi bulbs people - I usually post on the perennials forum and don't have much experience with bulbs. I have a 6X6 sunny plot and want to plant as many tulips as possible in that space so they can be harvested for my daughter's spring wedding. How many do you think will fit safely in that space? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs for cutting

With @36 sq. ft. you can pack in quite a few. Probably 180-200 bulbs planted at least 3" apart. Note that this is not an exact calculation.

When you're planting for a date specific event be sure you have a back up plan - a florist or even the fresh flower carts at Costco or Sam's Club. And protect them from deer and rabbits who love to nip the buds. There are a lot of variables that can impact tulips blooming by a specific date - weather is just one and the type if tulip is another. Do a little web searching for early, midseason and late blooming tulip varieties.

o
RE: Bulbs for cutting

Tulips according to the temp. will either bloom very quickly or slowly, not only could they bloom too fast but they could also open way too slow. I would for sure have a backup plan like was stated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here