Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting bulbs in stone "mulch"

Posted by mirahs NH (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 12:18

We have put in a new garden and are using small round stone as the primary mulch. If we have 4" of stone, should I count that towards the depth when planting crocus, tulip and daffodil bulbs in the area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting bulbs in stone "mulch"

I would count it. For the bulbs you mention there's lots of flexibility in planting depths and since the stone will not decay like other mulches it will always stay there to cover your plantings. The crocus could even be placed on the ground and then covered with the mulch (no digging! Bu since stone is a pain to move, your still doing plenty of work)
I just planted snowdrops last weekend by dumping a layer of soil, raked it out, placed the bulbs, and then covered with a layer of compost. Same idea but my situation will need topping off over the years as the compost decays away... stone will not.

o
RE: Planting bulbs in stone "mulch"

Thank you so much! I planted most of the bulbs I got, but some are back ordered so I got creative and used plastic bottles (water, iced tea, etc.) from our recycle bin to hold the places for the bulbs I'm waiting for. I prepared the area to the proper depth, placed the bulbs I had where I wanted them and put a bottle in where I want the others to go and put the dirt and mulch back over the area. When I get the other bulbs [in theory] I can move the mulch back a bit, pull out the bottle, drop the bulb in and cover back up with dirt and mulch!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here