Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inmyownlittleworld

Tulips in Florida

inmyownlittleworld
18 years ago

I have the bulbs--now how can I successfully grow them in Florida? I know I need to chill them, but for how long? When will they produce foliage and when will they bloom? I have plants that are spring bloomers up north but bloom for me in Fall and winter here. Is this the case with tulips and daffodils? Also--I was planning to container grow them rather than put them in the garden proper (so I can dig the bulbs easier). How deep should I plant them? When do I dig them up again and chill them? Thanks for any help! I am an experienced gardener--but really a newbie when it comes to these bulbs!

Comments (6)

• beachplant
    18 years ago

Treat them as an expensive annual. The easiest thing to do is go to the garden center in the spring and buy the ones that are sprouted. You can chill them for several months, plant them in spring and if you are lucky get a few straggly flowers. I'm zone 9b also. The heat and humidity get to them. Walmart will usually have them potted individually for around 50cents if you must have them. Otherwise save your money.
    Daffodils fare a little better, there are a few that will do OK down here. Snowbells, the name escapes me right now, kind of look like lily-of-the-valley will do fine here as will paperwhites. Tally HO!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

Well, if you've already bought them, chill them for at least 8 weeks.
    After 8-12 weeks, you're just storing them until planting.
    Plant when the ground temperature is no higher than 60 degrees.
    December will not be too late.
    They may come up and bloom in February if there's a warm spell, or they may be later.
    Different cultivars bloom different times.
    Plant them deep, eight inches or more.
    Dig them after the tops die off.
    If there's anything left worth chilling,
    store them in a warm, dry place over the summer
    and chill again next fall.

I researched university hort sites, experimented for years
    and after last Spring's fiasco, have sworn off tulips.
    Consider buying tulips as beachplant mentioned, already 'growed' for you.

Amaryllis will grown and bloom in the ground for you.
    So will crinums and all kinds of tropical bulbs.
    You've come to a place where there are many exciting possibilities. Enjoy.

Nell

• cynthianovak
    18 years ago

Nell
    What happened last spring?
    Why do you plant them soo deeply? I plant with great success after chilling. I usually only cover the top of the bulb with about an inch of soil. Since they are an annual, you can easily pull them out after blooming.

If it's really wet where you are they might rot...but so might daffodils.

c

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

Disease was rampant last spring, among other woes, Cynthia.
    I noticed in the Cutting Garden Forum that I was not the only one with botrytis and other nasties.
    I did have some successes, but not enough to encourage me to continue in the tulip fight.
    Maureen was a beauty. Queen of Night is always majestic and Bing Crosby was gorgeous.

Planting deep keeps them from experiencing temperature fluctuations, for one thing.
    For another, deep planting keeps them from splitting so easily and
    the poster wanted instructions on attempting to grow them on and dig and chill for another year.

It's not overly wet where I am; sandy, sandy soil as I expect Ownlittle world has as well.
    Drainage is not a problem.

Nell

• cynthianovak
    18 years ago

Thanks Nell
    I knew there had to be a reson for all that diggin'

Sorry to hear about the diseases..
    C

• mbh3232009_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

MY SPOUSE BROUGHT ME TULIPS FOR MY BIRTHDAY ON THE 23 I WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS TO HOT HERE TO PLANT THEM, RIGHT NOW I HAVE THE BULBS IN A PLASTIC ZIPLOCK IN THE REFRIGERATOR TO PLANT BY OCTOBER, IS THAT OKAY.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations