Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crinums in pots

Posted by hoosierbob 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 12:28

I'm looking for some crinum advice.

I got several crinums (Alfa) and put them in fairly small pots (e.g. like I pot amaryllis). They bloomed for me once, but the flowers only lasted a day and were closed by the time I got home from work most days- very fleeting beauty!. The plants quickly sent up multiple additional leaves all around, quickly crowding the pots. I haven't found much on crinum culture in pots. Does anyone successfully grow them this way? What are the key tips to be followed? Do any varieties have flowers that last until late in the day or for several days? Do they rebloom? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crinums in pots

I have about ten of various varieties, all part of a package from Costco about 3 years ago. They are all in pots of various sizes, the bigger the better for most of them. I move them under protection in the winter to keep them from our mild frost to encourage blooming the following summer. I have only had three bloom so far, two white and one red. This year I had four flowering stems on the red one, each stem a cluster of flowers, which lasted several days each stem, which bloomed one after the other. The white ones had only one stem with multiple flowers. One bulb in the package turned out a Lycoris which bloomed this August. The plants get bigger each year and we look for more of them to bloom. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here