Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Ever order from Netherlands?

cynthianovak
14 years ago

Hi all

I have a catalogue, but never tried them. They have a good deal on the large alliums, thought I'd ask to see if any of you have tried this company.

Yes, I'm going to check watchdog too

c

Comments (8)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Not sure if you meant to list a company name.......

Regardless, given the increased shipping costs associated with overseas imports and the need for pyhtosanitary certification, I'd have to wonder about the supposed advantages of ordering from an overseas vendor. Is it really going to be the bargain you think it is? Alliums are not all that hard to locate here in the US and the prices should be competitive once you factor out the added costs of ordering abroad.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry,
    I received a catalogue from Netherland Bulb Co. with 9 Globemaster alliums for about $32. That's the best price I've seen and have not seen good, large alliums in my local stores.
    c

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Touch of Nature linked below has then 10 20/22 cm for $47.

In checking them both out at Garden Watchdog, Touch of Nature has 111 Positives and 1 Negative.

The Netherland Bulb Co on the other hand has 14 Positives and 6 Negatives. I see they do have a packing co in the US, so the shipping is reasonable and no additional paperwork is needed.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Globe Master at Touch of Nature.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks chemcurl I read the negatives on GWB for Netherland and they were mostly about plants...and customer service. I've heard good things about touch of nature. I was really disappointed with the alliums I got from VE last year. two types, and neither came up.

Anyone try Allium Purple Sensation?

c

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

I gave up years ago, trying to grow the globe alliums. They either didn't come up or didn't bloom. Too far south, I suppose. None of the local vendors stock them.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks ladywindsurfer
    I planted them before. The globemaster were dramatic the firstyear. I should have dug them up for summer, but I didn't. There is a house near me whose landscaping is....well...neglected. Some years they are abundant, some years I don't see them at all. I'm assuming that whoever cuts the grass on occasion doesn't know what they are.

After about 10 years. There were loads of them this past spring. Sadly, I've never seen a person at the house so have no clue if it's even occupied. But I know that some type of the giant globe alliums returns here in zone 7b/8a.

I suppose I should just focus on other things, but they are so dramatic... .

bulbaholics hold onto hope....grins
    c

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

I've never had any alliums, or even thought about getting some until I was checking on the Globemasters you mentioned. There are several pretty ones at the link I posted above...Purple Sensation really caught my eye.

Maybe 2010............

Sue

• honnat
    14 years ago

One of the local garden centers sells bulbs from Netherland bulb company. I purchased some Dahlias last year and was disappointed. 2 of the 4 varities that I purchased were not like the photo on the package. I think it's a big company that gets things mixed up?? Who knows. But at least for dahlias; I will not purchase from them again. However, also purchased lilies that did turn out well.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery