Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first year ever planting bulbs-any advice?

Posted by novice_2009 zone 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 26, 09 at 13:47

I've planted 25 allium molly bulbs. I'm going to plant, once the neverending rain lets up, daffodil and anemone bulbs, feburary gold and rose, are their names I think.
Any tips on technique, timing, etc.? Anyone ever planted these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first year ever planting bulbs-any advice?

I'm guessing that the Anemones are the 'poppy' sort. Suggestion - keep them more toward the front and away from leafy things that could either flop on or grow to cover them. They prefer to be in the open, good sunlight, and well drained. They will even seed into gravel and quietly grow to flowering size if left undisturbed year by year.

Consider the 'airiness' of the Anemone foliage when you are combining your plants. Early Aquilegia eg canadensis, or the foliage at least, is a possible combination - if they come out at similar times. Lathyrus vernus(?) is also a possible if it emerges at the right time in your garden.

Think about 'team work' in the garden. What you will have as background. Something like Chimonanthus, or Hamamelis or one of the coloured bark Cornus or Salix to echo the colouring or give it a foil. Interesting shrubs can work very well with the early daffodils.

o

'February Gold' is a small, early daffodil, so should flower in March/April (?) for you. Anemone 'Rose' might be pink anemone blanda. I am guessing about this variety. If so, it is very short and will bloom in part shade and average to moist soil, probably after the daffodil. Allium moly is deep yellow and blooms the latest of the three, in June here in my zone. As the name suggests, it is an ornamental onion and about 10-12" high. It will bloom in sun or part shade. The foliage can get a bit floppy.

o

If you are planting Anemone blanda - in my zone, the sooner they're planted the longer they have to send out roots from those weird little lumps. Plant later and the damp turns them to mush. Good drainage and leaf mould and dappled light.

If you are planting Anemone coronaria - you can plant for succession, like planting garden peas. Some now, more in two weeks, a few more later - to extend the flowering season. They're the ones that often get described as 'poppy'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here