Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need help with layout of bulbs: Crocus, Squill, ,& Eranthis

Posted by lightning96 4b (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 13:59

I need help with arranging bulbs in my garden bed. I have never planted bulbs before, and would love input on what you think would look the best.

I bought 50 each of -
Siberian Squill (Scilla sp.) -- tiny blue flowers,
Crocus tommasinianus "Ruby Giant"
Crocus chrysanthus "Cream Beauty" (yellow)
Eranthus hyemalis "Winter Aconite"

I am planting these in a partial sun spot under 2 deciduous trees. When the flowers emerge the location will be very sunny as the leaves don't arrive until May.

Can anyone give me tips on how to arrange the bulbs for the best effect? I guess the squill, since they are tiny flowers, should be in the front? How should I arrange the yellow & violet crocus... would it look better to mix colors or keep them seperate? Where should I plant the Eranthus bulbs?

I look forward to hearing any advice! Especially if you are familiar with these flowers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need help with layout of bulbs: Crocus, Squill, ,& Eranthis

These are all small plants recommended for naturalising and although 50 seems a lot they will not cover a huge area. They look best in grass imo since they can disappear against soil, especially Eranthus which is only a couple of inches tall. The Eranthus will flower first. I would put them in patches of perhaps 10 - 20 bulbs and definitely in single colours and single species. A simple techinique is to throw the bulbs down and plant where they fall for a natural effect. I would not bother which ones were in front since they are all short. A position under a deciduous tree is perfect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here