Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can daffodils and daylilies be grown in the same bed?

Posted by birchhill (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 14:03

I assume that the daylilies would start to emerge after the daffodils had finished blooming and their foliage would help conceal the yellowing leaves of the daffodils. But are they compatible or would one eventually crowd out the other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can daffodils and daylilies be grown in the same bed?

Absolutely. I have done it for years, for exactly the reasons you state. I recommend that you carefully center your bulbs between the daylilies so you can find them when it's time to dig and divide the lilies. Otherwise you can quickly ruin your bulbs by cutting them with the shovel.

o

My daylilies are planted close enough that the roots grow together after a few years. I guess I am too lazy to dig and divide them, but I like a plant that does not demand much from me. I have a lot of daffodils and they are TOUGH, but I would not pit them against the daylilies. Al

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 15:07

I can't remember the last time I divided a daylily. Our clay soil seems to keep them in bounds (and I'm not overly ambitious anyway). But I can remember the last time I divided Dafs - last year. They became so crowded that they weren't blooming. Fortunately they are planted and grow more shallowly then daylily roots (which go down towards China it seems), so it wasn't too traumatic to the few daylily roots that were disturbed when I dug the Dafs up, divided them and re-planted. Plant your Dafs around the daylily drip line plus a few inches out from that for good measure. Find some way to mark your measurements so that when the daylilies go dormant and you don't have their foliage to go by, you can still plant your dafs the right distance away from them.....Maryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here