Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Muscari Choices

Posted by junco1102 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 20, 11 at 14:20

Our botanical center has a bulb sale every fall. I have never grown Muscari and thought I would get some this year. I have done some research and it sounds like many varieties have long, limp, unattractive foliage. I really dislike the dying foliage on spring bulbs, but know it is necessary to feed the bulbs. Of the following Muscari that are being offered by the botanical center, which has the most attractive foliage? Which would you recommend buying?

armeniacum
Blue Spike
Saffier
Blue Magic
Dark Eyes
Mout Hood
Ocean Magic
Superstare
Latifolium
Valerie Finnis

Thank you.

Junco

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Muscari Choices

The leaves can be prolific if you feed the bulbs and grow them in an area that doesn't get full sun for most of the day. A touch of 'cruelty' helps to get more flowers and shorter leaves: a stony soil can give excellent results.

armeniacum is usually a good all-rounder. Mid-blue flowers and quite long spikes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here