Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happened to my bulbs?

Posted by jerem 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 14:23

Im wondering if anyone can tell me whats wrong with these bulbs is it fungal, virus, too much water, not enough water, too much sun, not enough sun, something else? This simmilar thing happened to alot of my bulbs and almost none of these bloomed they just looked like this all summer so i just pulled some to take some pictures to figure out why, they happened to various sources of bulbs so i cannot see it being bad bulbs, it happened to some glads outside some glads in containers, this bulb here is an Acidanthera and it happened to some of those in the ground and in containers too so i just want to know why exactly did this happen if possible and if the bulbs are any good for next year? Im a newbie to bulbs and such so im sure its something i did so im just trying to understand what so i cannot do the same thing next year.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happened to my bulbs?

Blarg i forgot the pics, sorry:

o
RE: What happened to my bulbs?

You don't give us much information to go on here. It would have helped if you had said WHEN the foliage looked bag or unhealthy, or if you see something else that appears to be not normal.

So...
This is strictly a guess. (repeat:)

If these bulbs were planted in the last year, and if they came up with healthy looking foliage, if they didn't bloom and if, then, the foliage got to looking ratty and brown like this...It's normal. Many, many bulbs will not bloom the first year after planting, especially if they were on the small side to begin with.

The only way to know for sure is to watch and see if the bulbs return this year. If they do, at least some of them should bloom. After they bloom, the foliage will turn brown and ratty looking as the bloom is fed for the next year. Do NOT cut it back, braid it, etc. Let it die a natural death.

You say your are a newbie. If you already know all this, please do not be offended. Unless you give us more particulars, I think this is the best you will get.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here