Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciagaye

Rain Lily/ Star of Bethlehem

marciagaye
11 years ago

I have some of these, but am not sure exactly which one I have. The pictures on the internet look the same to me. How do you tell them apart? Thanks

Comments (6)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

Hi marciagaye!

I have some of these, but am not sure exactly which one I have.
    Do you mean that you have some rain lilies and that you also have some Star of Beth or do you mean that you have something with a white bloom and you aren't sure if it is rain lily or if it a star of beth?

or...
    Do you have both and you have dug some bulbs up and you can't tell by looking at the bulb if it a rain lily or a Star of Beth?

or, or, or...

Sue

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sue.... I am not sure what I have. The flower looks the same to me, it gets maybe 4-6 inches tall and the flowers only open during the day....if it is dark or raining they close.

• vetivert8
    11 years ago

I would suspect Zephyranthes atamasco (scented) or candida - because of the height you've given, and the time of year. If you've recently had rain - that could have stirred Z candida into flower.

11 years ago

Are these blooming now, or recently? Have you had them for a while? If you have had them for a few years, have they bloomed before? About May and just one time? More than once during the year?

I'm not sure how a Star of Beth reacts to dark or rainy days since I try to destroy all blooms ASAP before them can go to seed and spread. Surely you have heard my rants about the property here being infested with Star of Beth.

If they are blooming now, or recently, they sure aren't Star of Beth.

Most (if not all) Zephyranthes would normally not be hardy in your zone, but I'm suspecting that they might be planted in sort of a microclimate near the house...right?

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They bloom in the spring.....they are along the side of my driveway.....

11 years ago

They bloom in the spring.
    Then they are the dreaded Star of Beth that absolutely nothing will kill...well paraquat will kill it back 75% in one year, but who is licensed or wants to use that on their yard?

Next spring they will start emerging sometime in Feb, when the ground initially thaws. I suggest you dig them out, taking surrounding soil with the bulb clump and disposing of it in the trash...not yard waste.

If you don't get rid of it, you risk it seeding in your lawn, or it spreading as you move plants around, or even passing it on to some unsuspecting gardener when you share plants with them.

The property here is infested with the bulbs and I'm sure you have heard me rant about them. Below is a pic taken in March of how the front yard here looks. All of the many darker spots in the yard are clumps of Star of Beth. What little grass I have hasn't broken dormancy and greened up. I have very little grass due to it being in competition with the Star of Beth each spring for moisture and nutrients.

{{gwi:6562}}
    My pitiful yard.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling