Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amaryllis by christmas?

Posted by jim2009-gardener 7SC. (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 14:59

I was given some amaryllis bulbs last year. I planted them outside and they bloomed in about april 2011 (they are cold hardy here)Can I dig these up now and cool storage them and have them bloom indoors by christmas? I have never grown these before but would like to try. If so how long of cool storage do they need?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amaryllis by christmas?

I doubt this will work. Since the plants have been outside long enough to shift to their natural bloom cycle (late spring), I doubt you could force them to bloom inside this year. I would advise you to buy fresh bulbs this fall and follow the directions given for forcing blooms for the winter. If you want to force them each winter there are directions available for that too, but you will keep the bulbs inside year around.

o

I think you can force them, but would not count on them for Christmas, but probably January or even February. As they winter over in the garden, I tend to leave them there and enjoy the spring bloom. If you want to force them, I would dig them now and just lay them out on their sides in a cool dark area and they will go dormant. When dormant cut off the dried foliage and keep cool until the middle of November. Pot up with one third of the bulb above the mix which should be kept moist only and in house temperatures in good light. If you are lucky they may bloom in time for the holidays. Al

o

So, there you go. I would take Al's word over mine any day! :)

o

And never cut off the thick fleshy roots!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here