Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long Term Bulb Storage

Posted by fife78 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 15:02

My parents are trying to sell their house located in Connecticut, zone 6. My father has hundreds of bulbs that he wants to take with him to the new home. He has an assortment of tulips, daffodils and crocus. There's probably some hyacinth in his collection as well. He has pulled them all out of the ground in anticipation of selling the house and has them stored in the garage. What is the best way to store them until he can plant them at the new home? It's a little unusual because the house may sell next week or it may sell in January. Potting them up isn't practical because he literally has hundreds nor does he have the space in the garage for all sorts of pots. I'd appreciate any suggestions that anyone can offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long Term Bulb Storage

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 22:01

If he can't plant them in time for them to get their winter chill in the ground, or if the ground is frozen by the time he is in his new house, he might have to do what I do in zone 10, put them in the refrigerator for 6 to 12 weeks prior to planting.

o

If your dad plans to move locally (not hundeds of miles away and into a different growing zone) could he rent/trade for part of a friend's or family member's veg garden and get the bulbs in the ground as usual but in labelled rows?

I know you said 'hundreds'; however, could he separate out the late-season bulbs (think N poeticus, for example) and pot them up?

That way he could 'easily' trans-ship the potted group to the new yard; and

dig up the early flowering species and varieties 'in the green' for moving to his new yard. That would give the person who has let him use their yard a freshly dug patch for the coming season of veg planting.

As your zone is getting toward 'crispy winters' he would probably need to rig some sort of outdoor shelter to repel frost/snow for the potted set - bales of straw could be useful, with a weatherproof cover over and tied down.

Late planting is probably not going to work too well because of having to wait for the ground to warm up/dry out. By which time the air temps will collapse the flowering season, and trigger the onset of dormancy in the bulbs.

o

The fridge option is out, simply because my parents don't have a second one to dedicate to all the bulbs.

The move is local. I'll suggest the idea of temporarily planting them in my gardens and/or the gardens of other family. We all live in the same zone, so I don't think that would present any issues.

Thanks for the suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here