Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vuwugarden

Wishing for a lawn full of daffodils

vuwugarden
13 years ago

Hello everyone,

I've drifted over from the rose forum, in need of help from you bulb experts.

Last year I planted a few daffodil bulbs within my rose bed. They came up pretty well, but I believe only half of what I had planted made it. It could have been that I overwatered the area, due to some of the roses needing regular watering during our hot Texas summer.

Anyway, this year I plan on naturalizing a TON of daffodil bulbs in my lawn. From what I've read within this forum, Ice Follies seem to naturalize well, so I went a little overboard at Costco today and purchase 300 bulbs. Fifty bulbs for $13 is not too shabby in my opinion.

My wish is to line the driveway with daffodils, but I read in this forum that a line of daffodils does not look good. What do you suggest I do instead? Thank you in advance for your advice and guidance.

Audrey

Comments (4)

• Donna
    13 years ago

I don't see why you can't line your driveway with daffs if that's what you want to do. To give it a more natural feel, just don't plant a single row in straight, perfectly spaced lines. Think about a "band or ribbon" (say 5 or 6 plants wide) that gets narrower in some areas and wider in others. You got a great deal on Ice Follies, which is a very good one. However, they will all bloom at once and then be gone at once. You may want to mix in some other varieties so that you will have a longer show. It's entirely possible to have some kind of daffodil blooming from January all the way to April here in my area.

You need to know that not all daffodil varieties do well in the deep south. Our winters are too warm and our soils too dense and moist for alot of the varieties that do well up north. If you have an irrigation system, you need to be especially selective about the kinds you plant, since most daffodils really like a long, fairly dry, summer baking. And finally, if you garden on really heavy clay, you need to spend some time loosening and amending it or your bulbs may very well rot in the ground.

That being said, there are MANY that will do well. If you're shopping a catalogue, you will almost always do well with the jonquila class. Early bloomers will last for weeks, while late bloomers may come and go in 3 to 5 days if your spring gets warm early.

• cynthianovak
    13 years ago

Hi Where in Central TX are you? I planted daffs for my sister in law near Belton and many came back. Had good luck with Dutch Iris and anemone giants too. The little tet e tet daffs return nicely too. jonquillas and tazettas are good choices. One of my favorites here in Arlington is Barrett Browning. Easy to find like Ice Follies. Consider the clusiana species tulips too. Lady jane and cynthia bloom late and naturalize nicely here. You probably have to order them online. There is a thread on Texas Gardening forum with a photo I'm going to try to link it here.

Good luck and plant them any way you like. You'll be the one walking that drive and smiling. Ice follies glows in the moonlight!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Jane

• vuwugarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you donna and cynthia for replying and offering advice.

I live in Austin TX so, yes, I do understand the heavy clay soil predicament and sadly, I do have an irrigation system as well.

I've never thought about mixing daff bulbs with another. Hmmmm, I may have to do more research and buy, BUY some more! I just purchased a bulb auger online, so I hope it works.

I will check out the link you have provided. Thank you, thank you for helping me get my wish in line. I will post before and after pictures soon.

Have a wonderful day ladies!

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

If you plan on naturalizing daffodils in your lawn, it's a good idea to remember that after they bloom you really don't want to mow off the foliage until it dries. Thus, you will have areas of daff foliage and tall grass (unless you weed around the daffodil plants all summer) in your lawn. I love the look of drifts of daffodils here and there in my own yard and put up with the ragged look as long as possible. Unless you are thinking of digging up areas of turf and making beds and using mulch. You can try to plant the bulbs as close together as possible too.