Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Overwintering in Zone 3b / the utility of bulb pans

xmpraedicta
9 years ago

Hi all,

I just wanted to pick your brains re: overwintering bulbs in severe cold climates (zone 3b). It's my first winter here, but temps tend to dip down to -40 over the winter. I'm planning on planting some spring flowering crocus and species tulips in some containers (balcony gardener here). I have an unheated shed that's attached to my house.

I've read that it's the freeze-thaw that is far more damaging than the cold weather itself, so I was planning on putting the containers in the shed, which is somewhat shielded. Any merit in further insulating the containers inside a cooler, which will further buffer against changes in conditions? I was planning on buying some cheap coleman coolers on kijiji.

Does anyone here have experience with overwintering bulbs in containers, with the -40C temps?

In addition, any merit to bulb pans? I like how they save space and I can fit more bulbs in them, but I plan on growing these bulbs in containers for hopefully long-term. Can crocus bulbs survive in shallow bulb pans permanently (assuming I fertilize) or will they just wither away eventually.

Finally, I also have some lily bulb transplants. I built a big insulated planter using wood panels, lining it with building insulation panels, as an experiment. I planted some of the lilies in there, along with some siberian iris and perennials. We will see what happens in the spring! I have some bulbs left over - any suggestions on how to over winter them?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?