Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Care of Crinum alfa

Posted by lorrieh Z6/NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 23, 09 at 17:33

I was wondering if I had to lift the Crinum alfa bulbs for the winter? They didn't bloom this year, so I'm hoping to take proper care of them so they have a chance next year.

Lorrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Care of Crinum alfa

I'm not familiar with that species, and it isn't listed in any of my references, but most Crinums will need to be stored in a cool, frost-free location in your zone. C. bulbispermum and some of its hybrids might make it through a warmer winter with lots of mulch, but I wouldn't chance it.

o

Van Bourgondian lists it at zones 9-11

Here is a link that might be useful: zones for crinum Alfa

o

Crinums do not like to be disturbed and will often wait two or three years to bloom again after being dug or divided. Since your bulb will not be hardy in your zone, you will have better luck to pot it up (in a BIG pot) and take it, pot and all, inside for the winter each year.

o

According to the V.B. link, it looks like a named variety of C. scabrum, in which case Donna's advice is right on the money. That species is iffy here in terms of winter hardiness, and can be touchy about reblooming.

o

lorrieh,

I really new to the world of crinums. I came across this site marcellescrinums.com. I had gotten a St Christopher as a gift in a trade. I'm in zone 5 so I planted it thinking it was like canna or caladrium bulbs that you dig up in the fall. I contacted Marcelle and she was kind enough to tell how to take care it. Hope this helps.

o

Thanks for all your help. I suppose they will be lifted and put in pots. Maybe next year I'll have some blooms.

Thanks again, Lorrie

Mori, who is Marcelle?

o

(I'm not Mori...:)
Marcelle Sheppard is a "little old lady" who lives in Texas who is arguably, perhaps, the leading expert on crinums in the southeast (at least). She has a great website. Just google "Marcelle's crinums". Her photos will bowl you over and there is lots of excellent information there.

o

Yea what donnabaskets said.

o
How many blooms per stem? I'm new to crinums.

Hi,
This spring I bought 2 bags of Alfa crinum bulbs at Costco. There were 5 bulbs per bag. Put them in pots because I'll need to bring them in this winter. They sent up leaves first and now thick stems with a bloom on top that isn't open yet. Will that stem have one bloom or many? By the pictures I see there are many bloom on the stems. I've never bought this type of bulb before and I am excited that it will be blooming the first season. I read that sometimes they take years to bloom. Am I lucky or what?!
Tina

o

Wow. What a score! To get blooming size bulbs is rare indeed. There should be several blooms on the stalks: typically 4 to 6. Given good care (regular water and organic nitrogen in particular), they only get better every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here