Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorrieh_gw

Care of Crinum alfa

lorrieh
14 years ago

I was wondering if I had to lift the Crinum alfa bulbs for the winter? They didn't bloom this year, so I'm hoping to take proper care of them so they have a chance next year.

Lorrie

Comments (10)

• bubba62
    14 years ago

I'm not familiar with that species, and it isn't listed in any of my references, but most Crinums will need to be stored in a cool, frost-free location in your zone. C. bulbispermum and some of its hybrids might make it through a warmer winter with lots of mulch, but I wouldn't chance it.

• daffodillady
    14 years ago

Van Bourgondian lists it at zones 9-11

Here is a link that might be useful: zones for crinum Alfa

• Donna
    14 years ago

Crinums do not like to be disturbed and will often wait two or three years to bloom again after being dug or divided. Since your bulb will not be hardy in your zone, you will have better luck to pot it up (in a BIG pot) and take it, pot and all, inside for the winter each year.

• bubba62
    14 years ago

According to the V.B. link, it looks like a named variety of C. scabrum, in which case Donna's advice is right on the money. That species is iffy here in terms of winter hardiness, and can be touchy about reblooming.

• mori1
    14 years ago

lorrieh,

I really new to the world of crinums. I came across this site marcellescrinums.com. I had gotten a St Christopher as a gift in a trade. I'm in zone 5 so I planted it thinking it was like canna or caladrium bulbs that you dig up in the fall. I contacted Marcelle and she was kind enough to tell how to take care it. Hope this helps.

• lorrieh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all your help. I suppose they will be lifted and put in pots. Maybe next year I'll have some blooms.

Thanks again, Lorrie

Mori, who is Marcelle?

• Donna
    14 years ago

(I'm not Mori...:)
    Marcelle Sheppard is a "little old lady" who lives in Texas who is arguably, perhaps, the leading expert on crinums in the southeast (at least). She has a great website. Just google "Marcelle's crinums". Her photos will bowl you over and there is lots of excellent information there.

• mori1
    14 years ago

Yea what donnabaskets said.

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    12 years ago

Hi,
    This spring I bought 2 bags of Alfa crinum bulbs at Costco. There were 5 bulbs per bag. Put them in pots because I'll need to bring them in this winter. They sent up leaves first and now thick stems with a bloom on top that isn't open yet. Will that stem have one bloom or many? By the pictures I see there are many bloom on the stems. I've never bought this type of bulb before and I am excited that it will be blooming the first season. I read that sometimes they take years to bloom. Am I lucky or what?!
    Tina

• Donna
    12 years ago

Wow. What a score! To get blooming size bulbs is rare indeed. There should be several blooms on the stalks: typically 4 to 6. Given good care (regular water and organic nitrogen in particular), they only get better every year.