Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering bulbs in pots

Posted by newbiegardener101 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 17:35

I have several bulbs that I am planning to layer in a large pot and overwinter in my attached unheated garage. I've been researching gardenweb to determine just how to go about doing this. Almost everything I've seen has to do with forcing bulbs before they would naturally bloom. All I want is to have the bulbs blooming in a container at their own pace. My only reason for not leaving the container outside all winter is to keep it from freezing solid.

Is it alright to plant the pot full of bulbs in late September and just put it outside until the temperatures start dipping below freezing? My plan would be to keep it in the garage, watering every few weeks, until the weather warmed up above freezing again. Is this a recipe for success or a plan that will end in disaster? Any insight you can offer would be very much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering bulbs in pots

Sounds like it should work fine......I follow virtually the same practice each year, except I only keep my pots out of the weather (rain) rather than a need to protect from freezing. Be very sparing on the watering - you only want the potting medium to remain barely moist.

The bulbs will likely bloom earlier than their cousins in the ground. Once temperatures warm in early spring and you remove the pots from your garage and place outdoors, the soil in the containers will heat up faster than the ground and that tends to encourage earlier, faster growth and blooming.

o

Thank you, gardengal48. It's good to hear that this practice has worked for you in the past. What about those of you in my zone? Has this practice worked for you?

o

I'm wondering the same exact thing. I am also trying to find as much info as I can (since I'm investing a bit of $ in over 100 bulbs.) I also would like to ask if it is alright to keep the bulbs in the garage right off the bat. I have a horrible chipmunk problem, and that is part of the reason I'm trying the containers.

Also, if I want tulips to be blooming late april early may, should I get mid season tulips, or would a late bloomer be a better bet? (since you mentioned that they will bloom earlier in the containers.) I already ordered Triumph pax tulips (mid season bloomers) so I'm hoping they will be ok! I had Maureen late bloomers in my cart and changed my mind at the last second...

Just would love to have lots of white tulips blooming for my daughter's First Communion party. If I time it right, it will really be beautiful :)

o

I usually wait until early February to pot up my tulip bulbs. The pots are fairly large and live outside. I don't water them. They get whatever moisture Ma Natures give em'. I forgot what kind I planted this spring but they bloomed in mid to late April. I guess there is more than one way to do it....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here