Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wannaflower

miniature tulips?

wannaflower
13 years ago

Hello,

I was at my grandfather's funeral in Payson, AZ a couple of years ago & my mom found the sweetest little purple flower in the yard. It looked like a mini tulip. If I remember right, it was maybe 3-4 inches tall. I wish I had taken a picture. Does anybody know if there is such a thing as a miniature tulip? If so, where would a person find them.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (11)

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

What month was the funeral?

There are species tulips which are short. This link shows many.

Since you say it was purple I wonder if it could have been a crocus?

Here is a link that might be useful: species tulips

• wannaflower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I never thought of a crocus, maybe that's what it was! I have no clue about flowers & had "tulip" in my brain.

The funeral was late April.

• finchelover
    13 years ago

Several years ago I had planted some and they were red with striped leave, the moles finally got them all. Don't remember the name sorry.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Red with striped leaves? Finche, the flowers she's talking about are purple.

I'm posting a pic of a purple tulip with a yellow center. I think a crocus sounds about accurate too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tulip

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

wannaflower - as you remember back, were the leaves skinny like grass, and had a white line down the middle and were sort of flopped over? Crocuses are often like this.

Or were the leaves standing up more until they drooped at the tip like dogs' ears, and had a blue-green sort of tinge? Many tulips are like this, though some have spots and stripes on the leaves.

joshy46013 - is that T violacaea? Or a relation?

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

V.

I think it's T. Bakeri "lilac wonder" These aren't too small tho..

T. violacaea are small and have the grass like leaves like a crocus, the leaves are a bit longer and prostate.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Actually I guess T. Bakeri is considered "miniture" and they're the most common so this could possibly be them

here is a link

Here is a link that might be useful: Tulipa Bakeri

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

Having scampered up the garden, dodging raindrops: T pulchela violacaea. My version(!) is a mid crimson with a dark centre that's rimmed with a grey-white. A 'grassy' sort of leaf, around an inch wide and somewhat floppy - but that may be because they could stand to be potted on.

Thanks for the extra info, joshy. Appreciated.

• wannaflower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input! Joshy, The pictures you posted are a bit different than the flower I remember. The petals are "pointier" on the photos.

I just remember it as the tiniest little tulip shaped flower with "rounded", purple petals. I believe (if I remember right) it also had a bit of white streaks on the petals. I don't remember the leaves. Maybe pointed?

It may have been a crocus (thank you iris gal for planting that thought in my head). A neighbor came by the other day selling flowers from a catalogue to raise money for band. There was a flower in the photo of crocus that looks like what I've been describing. I'll find out next spring. We orderd some from him.

Thank you all for helping!

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

That explanation for sure sounds like a crocus :) I hope you figure it out!

Either way, they're all beautiful :)

• wannaflower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Joshy. Even if I don't figure it out, I'll have fun trying! :-D

Like you said, they are all beautiful so I really can't go wrong. I'm completely new at flowers & have decided to just jump in & give 'em a try. What have I got to loose? :)

Sponsored
Stellar Remodeling and Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Charlottesville Design & Remodeling Showroom | 3 x Best of Houzz