Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Fritillaria Imperialis, Crown Imperial

gardenbug
11 years ago

I just purchased 3 of these today to plant in my new garden bed. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas of what other plants might go well with these. I bought the deep orange. I also have 3 rhododendrons that have very bright red trusses. I love vivid colors like oranges and reds. This year around my entire garden, I edged it with purple and white allysum. I'd like to change this color out to something bright and warm. Can you buy yellow allysum? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments (5)

• vetivert8
    11 years ago

It used to be called Alyssum saxatile before the botanists struck. It's perennial. However, it has grey-green foliage and is more subtle than striking, IMO.

Calendula is a possible - especially the double varieties which can be bicolour, brown-y, sharp orange, strong yellow.

Pink, or modest purple - Aubrieta, which is a ground cover.

Helleborus foetida has dark green foliage and green-cream flowers which make a useful mid-height foil for taller plants.

Polyanthus - there are some varieties with dense colouring which might be useful at the ground level. And Campanula, glomerata, perhaps, if it coincides for flowering time.

The vegie chard with the coloured stems. Ornamental cabbages - or even the ones with the purple-red leaves that have that interesting bloom on them.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    11 years ago

vetivert8 - Thank you so much for taking the time to provide me with a good variety of ideas for my garden. I googled them all and they are all so pretty it is hard to select. I felt like a kid in a candy store. I was especially drawn to the Polyanthus and Calendula. Thanks again.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

The big frits sometimes suffer in our wet NW winters. It is suggested you plant the bulbs at an angle or even on their sides so that the "pocket" at the top of the bulb (where the stem emerges) doesn't fill up with soggy soil and rot.

I'd also suggest planting them with an assortment of erysimum or wallflowers. They come in those warm shades, smell lovely and bloom for an extended period when the bulbs are in flower. I especially like the one called 'Apricot Twist', which has been bloom in my garden for months.

Here is a link that might be useful: Erysimum 'Apricot Twist'

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Gardengal, You'll be soooooo proud of me. I planted them on their sides in a part of my garden that receives lots of sunlight. I love the Erysimum 'Apricot Twist' - When do I plant it? Now or in the spring? I'll check out a couple of local nurseries to see if they carry it. Thanks again Gardengal for your help.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

You can plant the Apricot Twist any time.......you are most likely to find it in quantity in spring, however. That seems to be the peak season for wallflowers of all types.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022