Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Callas : will perform better in subsequent years?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 22, 09 at 17:45

I planted some pink and purple ones in deck planters this year. The leaves grew well, and are very lush, but I dont think I got more than 1 flower per pot. Which flopped over and faced downwards!

Could it be the bulbs/corms were just too small? They were bought at a big box store. Im wondering of they are worth the trouble to dig up and save over the winter. Or are the pink or purple kinds just less vigorous than white?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Callas : will perform better in subsequent years?

You'll probably be surprised when you do dig them up - they usually multiply generously. If you sort them by size and set aside the plump ones for display; the smalls for growing on, your chances of a 'show' are improved. They can become quite overcrowded if left unsorted.

They definitely need fresh potting mix and good feeding each year, in my experience, otherwise they struggle to put on any kind of show. Full sun or part shade or half day sun.

Try to keep them plump over winter - like dahlia or lilies. They're often 'not happy' about drying out and will sulk to prove it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here