Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Bucket" bulbs during winter

Posted by Ryan_Howard none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 18:37

Thanks in advance for any who reply.

This past spring, we made a new bed in front of our houses. It wasn't possible to till and amend the entire area, so instead, we dug holes for some plastic buckets, drilled some drainage holes, put an amended soil in them, and buried the buckets in the ground. We filled them with gladiolas, dahlias, phlox, hollyhocks and lilies, and are very pleased with how the bed turned out.

What I would like to do is pull the buckets out of the ground, and drop in new ones with tulips and other bulbs that need to be in the ground over the winter.

My question is: if I pull out the summer bucket bulbs and put them in the garage, can I keep them in the buckets over winter and not dig them out. Truthfully, it's just a time thing. My garage hovers just above freezing in the winter.

Thanks!

Ryan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Bucket" bulbs during winter

The main thing for the lilies is that the potting mix never becomes bone dry over the winter. The bulbs will probably survive but will be too shrunken to perform well for the following summer if the mix gets to be dust-dry.

You didn't say which type of lily: while underground many asiatic, oriental and regal lilies will tolerate a few degrees of frost, even if the mix in the bucket should chance to freeze. So long as it thaws the day after the frosty night. Lilies rest. They don't do 'dormant' like some bulbs, so they need to keep taking in air and water, which freezing prevents.

Dahlias are much the same, particularly if you cover them with a light mulch that lets the air through (shredder paper, perhaps, so long as the mousies aren't nest building.) Provided the tubers are covered then hungry bugs, slugs and furry things 'should' leave them alone.

For me phlox and hollyhocks aren't completely dormant so I would say - make sure they get the best light you can manage otherwise they'll get to be long and a miserable greeny-yellow (etiolated) and too weak to beat off the bugs when spring comes around.

Gladdies - the species ones are already heading into leaf quite early in the spring in this zone. Depending in your growing zone you could be replanting anywhere from January to June. Keep the old mix barely moist - which shouldn't be too hard with the sandy mix they like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here