Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Blooming Crocus

Posted by kforrest Chicago IL (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 9, 09 at 18:44

Does anybody have any experience growing the fall blooming crocus?

I should be getting some delivered tomorrow and any input would be appreciated.

PS...they are going in pots

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Blooming Crocus

I am growing about 50, packed tightly in an 18 quart plastic dish pan, after drilling some 2 dozen " drain holes in it.
The flowering stems are rather weak, and with no foliage yet to support them, they sort of lean on each other to remain upright.
The ones I have in the garden were spaced about 4" apart and during most of the bloom cycle, the flowers and stems are on the ground!
Lycoris, Sternbergia & Rhodophiala bifida are already blooming, but the fall Crocus and Rain lilies (Zephyranthes) haven't broken ground yet. Soon, hopefully!

Plant your bulbs as soon as they arrive and water well. Place the pot in a location where they receive some morning sun for a few hours and they should begin to bloom in 2-3 weeks.
I seldom use fertilizer, but when I do, it's usually 5-10-10 or 6-12-12, applied after the foliage emerges. Leave the foliage until it turns yellow and then it can be clipped off or as I do, when it turn yellow, I hide the pot until the foliage dies down completely before removing it!

Did you order a mixture of colors or just one species?
I ordered a mix, but all except 3 were the same color. :<(

o
RE: Fall Blooming Crocus

Thanks so much for the good info. I got 3 different varieties....white, a pink/rose and bluish purple.

Planted them up yesterday.......can't wait for a new little burst of color!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here