Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eukofios

Will Lycoris grow from purchased, packaged bulbs?

eukofios
14 years ago

I've been trying for years to get a stand of Lycoris squamigera started. My family grew it for generations without problems, in Illinois. The flowers are gone now, along with my family members.

I have one bulb that comes up annually, then the leaves die down, but no flowers. I've planted many others - not a cheap process - and none have grown. Maybe one other that also died.

Researching the internet, I see that they often don't bloom for 2 or 3 years after planting. Also, they really resent being moved. Some authors give up after a few tries. I don't want to move or replant the one that I have growing, for this reason. It has not bloomed, ever, but has been growing for about 4 years.

I've read that they are planted 6 inches deep, or with the neck at ground level. I've read that they grow in warmer climates than I live in (W. Washington state, Zone 7 or 8), and I know they'll grow colder.

I'm wondering if the purchased bulbs are just false promises, not likely to grow and a waste of money. Some writers claim that L. squamigera are very easy. Others claim nearly impossible.

I also have some L radiata that I just bought. I'm wondering if they will be easier. But I really want the L squamigera.

I grow all of the other usual bulbs with no problems - tulips, narcissus, leucanthus, scilla, muscari, erythronium, and many more.

So the main questions are:

For Lycoris squamigera, are purchased bulbs useless, or do they grow?

Should they be planted 6" deep, or near the surface?

Are L. radiata easier to get started?

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:26208}}

Comments (4)