Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first bulbs, what should I pick?

Posted by calik8 sunset18 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 19:11

I live in the San Fernando Valley of L.A.
I think I have time to buy some bulbs and stick them in the fridge for a month before planting. I will plant these bulbs in containers. I only know I am not interested in Iris or Calla Lilly. So where is good place to shop that has low prices and a large varieties? What bulbs produce heavily scented blooms?
TIA
Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first bulbs, what should I pick?

Narrow it down a little...

Do you want something easy to grow that will bloom year after year in your climate?

Do you want something really big and showy and not care if it blooms once but is difficult to keep growing?

Do you want traditional temperate-climate spring bulbs like daffodils and tulips?

I would look up some tropical bulbs that are right for your climate. Drought-tolerant varieties might do better in containers. You could grow hippeastrum (amaryllis) or clivia or gladiolus... too many to list!

o

tuberose, tuberose and more tuberose ;) Very easy to grow and smells so nice! (A fine perfume of jasmine with coconut in the mix)

o

Heavily scented - for spring - Hyacinths. Also consider tazetta and jonquil daffodils. (Divisions 7 and 8.)

Another scented - Freesia burtonii. These are shorter than the big florists' freesias - cream with a yellow throat and hardy to light frosts. They look great with yellow Lachenalia and/or blue or purple Muscari.

For later in spring - Leucocoryne. Later again - oriental lilies (stargazer type. The asiatics aren't usually scented.)

For the daffodils they do prefer being in-ground as they like to 'dig in' but they will probably flower for the first year in pot or tub. The Hyacinths are more reliable for lasting over into flowering the following season - and the others I've listed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here