Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
marking location of bulbs

Posted by madtripper 5/6 Guelph (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 7, 09 at 19:16

I grow a lot of bulb between perennials. I want to mark the location of the bulbs, so I dont try to plant on top of them while dormant. I dont need the name of the bulb, but I do want something that is not easily moved with weeding. It also needs to stick up above mulch.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: marking location of bulbs

I unbend a wire hanger with pliers and cut it into six inch pieces with wire cutters. Then I wrap a piece of red electrical tape around it to make a little "flag". I stick the flag in the ground. The flags stick about 1 or 2 inches above the mulch. I've never pulled one up weeding.

o

I like that idea!

I use those ribbed plastic stalks about ten inches long that some growers use for displaying big plant labels. Waste not, want not! But the birds still manage to scritch them out - sigh.

I also use my bedding inventory maps - hand drawn and only comprehensible to me - which work very well for me because I can keep track of when something went in and when I need to thin or refresh. It's not for everyone, I know.

o

I use two methods. The first goes something like this: daffodils planted precisely in the middle of daffodil clumps. Spider lilies planted precisely between two rows of nandinas and six inches apart.

For the odd clumps of this and that, I use a piece of a vinyl window shade slat about 8 inches in the ground. I stick it into the ground right in front of the bulb at planting time. You can mark on them with a Marks-alot and the ink will last IF you put the ink under the ground level. Either way, when I see the slat, I know there's something important down there. The beige ones are basically the color of mulch, so they're not intrusive. Of course, you have to pay attention or you'll miss them, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here