Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving bulbs

Posted by marykayeee Z5PA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 23, 11 at 19:20

I am moving late this year. I dug up many of my tulip and daffodil bulbs to take with me. However, I won't be able to get them in the ground until we are settled next year. In other words, they will be skipping a year. Would you expect them to survive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving bulbs

No, I'm afraid I wouldn't, not if they've been kept out of the ground for 12 months, in less than ideal storage. Can you plant them in pots to take with you, plant in pots as soon as you get to the new house or just heel them in temporarily?

o
RE: Saving bulbs

Have you got a friend in the place you are leaving who would let you plant them at their place - and retrieve them once they've died down again? That would give you at least nine months to settle in and put your new garden together.

Spring planting of bulbs for spring can work. Sort of. But it may take one to two years before the bulbs forgive you and start flowering again.

And flora's suggestion is definitely worth strong consideration. If you are having a new house built in your next location, can you set aside a nursery area for your plants, safe from the builders, and take your pots there? Or come to an agreement with the present owners, if you are buying an existing house?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here