Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panchiro

Help!

panchiro
16 years ago

About a week ago I decided to amend my bulb beds in preparation for adding more bulbs. I had various daffodils and several types of tulips as well as a few other things. As I was digging I found a lot of my bulbs to be completely gone, and the ones that were still in the ground were rotten, or being eaten by grubs, wire worms, teeny tiny white things, and in the center of some of the bulbs (after I broke them open) I found this large white worm pupae thing. This was not my first year for bulbs, but it is the first year that I've had such destruction. I do not have a squirrel/vole problem, so I know the disappeared bulbs aren't because of them. What I need to find out is, what are all the teeny tiny white things infested in the bulbs, are they related to the big white worm that was in the middle, did my bulbs rot, and that's why they were attacked, or were they attacked for another reason. I have hundreds of new bulbs to plant and I don't want to do it if they are going to end up the same. Advice anyone? I have a picture of the worm, and a pic of one of the bulbs, but I don't believe you can see the white crawly things.

{{gwi:26219}}
{{gwi:26221}}
{{gwi:26223}}

Comments (3)

• vetivert8
    16 years ago

The big grub looks similar to the big Narcissus fly larva. They are active when the leaves are still growing - then the little grubs go down the neck of the bulb, using the hole left by the now-dead leaves. The grubs then have all winter to feast...:(

There is a spray you can use several times over the season but you have to be qualified to apply it.

Another possible is to cover the leaves with horticultural fleece weighed down very well to stop ambitious female flies from finding a way in.

The other grubs are probably just gate-crashers, come for the feast on the remains of the bulbs.

For really precious bulbs, if you can squeeze out the grub - or hook it out - leave the frass behind because it stops the bulb rotting before it can be eaten (cunning, eh!), and replant the bulb in a pot with a gritty mix to grow on/recover. It takes a couple of years but I know from experience it can be done.

• pbandj_grow
    16 years ago

panchiro,

I believe the previous post corretcly identified the large grub. I would tend to believe the smaller critters are fairly common bulb maggots or bulb borers that also attack onions, garlic, lilies and other below ground crops. The rot normally ocurs from the bulb being damaged by either of these critters. It may be that the small ones are immature forms of the large one you pictured but either way I have found the best way to control any critter that spends at least a part of their life in the ground is through an application of beneficial nematodes that consume the critter from the inside out and like I say is effective against any critter that spends its larval stage on or in the ground. However, there are different strains of nematodes and I don't recall the one that is most effective in your area. At the link below you can contact them and they will direct you to the one for your area and best of all it can be sprayed on and watered in rather than digging. Being completely honest with you though, it is not inexpensive to do but it is highly cost effective and best of all, it is totally environmentally safe. For the bulbs you do save, I think I would do well to dust them with a little sulfer before I replanted them to give some protection against bacteria and further rot. Any that are already showing signs of rot you might give them a rinse of a 10% bleach solution, rinse and let dry. Then dust them and replant. It often works and you have nothing to loose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening Resource

• panchiro
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both for the info and tips. I'm going to look into the nematodes. It may not be in the budget for this year though. I did dig up what remaining bulbs I have and will try the bleach solution. I will also have to find a source for the sulfur.

Thanks,
    Simone