Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marty1954_gw

tiger lily bulbs

Marty1954
9 years ago

Hi Garden Web friends..I was given a sack of tiger lily bulbs, some of them are as big as a baseball, how do I go about dividing these bulbs?? Thanks so much!

Comments (6)

• Marty1954
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention these bulbs are made up of scales..do I peel away the scales until I get a bulb the size I want? Thanks again!

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

You can pull off scales and plant them but they will take some time to mature and bloom. I would leave them intact and plant them the way they are.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

I cannot think of a reason for wanting a large bulb to be smaller, quite the opposite. Al

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

You mean L. lancifolia, once known as L. tigridim? All you need to do is separate the bulbs from each other and plant them about 6" deep and at least that far apart and no shallower. If you want increase, then next year collect the bulbils from along the stems and grow them on. You can have more than you ever dreamed about in a very short time and not miss any flowers in the process.

It also pays to be aware that lancifolia has significant disease resistance which has a distinct down side, since that allows it to be a virus carrier that may destroy some of the other bulb lilies you have.

This one is easy, multiplies rapidly on its own, tolerates a significant amount of shade, as well as full sun, and is quite permanent.

BTW all true lily bulbs are made up of naked scales. Best to plant the bulbs with the most scales for best flowering.

• emerogork
    9 years ago

For me, they multiply at least 2x in the ground per year. There is no reason to "peel them". If you have a sack of them, how many more do you want (-:

I have recently developed a theory on them and you will undoubtedly get different opinions. I plant them at least 6" deep from the top of the bulb. As they grow, they will reproduce at the preferred level. Some people claim they can physically move in the soil but I doubt it. (That would be scary...)

The reason I set them extra deep is that the plant has two sets of roots. Those that extend from the bottom of the bulb which you should never remove and those that sprout above the bulb on the stalk that it sends up.

My theory is that the upper root system has to have enough growing space to help the flowers perform. When I allow for this space, they grow much taller.

I have seen this effect over the years when deliberately plant two sets in each environ. Two sets full sun, one high the other one deep. The same goes for partial shade and heavy shade.

Granted both plants perform according to the amount of sunlight but the deeper ones always seem to grow taller.

In case you have the dreaded red-lily beetle: I spray with a systemic insecticide (Bionide 5 in one?) twice a week apart as the stalk is growing. DO NOT use this when the buds show at all. This way the pollen in the flowers will not be toxic to the bees and other pollinators.

It is worth continuing treatment after all flowers are spent as it helps reduce next year's infestation. Use a hand spritzer to place the insecticide on the lily leaves and not surrounding plants.

• Marty1954
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so very much for the information! I am heading out to plant these bulbs, now to wait for next spring! Thanks again...

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor