Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Must move daffs...when?

Posted by jessew 5 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 20:23

I just found out that I have to relocate my vacation place where I have planted quite a few daffodils (among other plants!) I have until April 1 to finish everything, but I thought it might be better to do it now or later in fall when I would plant new daff bulbs so that they would have time to settle in. I don't have them marked, but I know where most are & will probably be digging up most of the bed anyway! Does anyone have any advice? Dig now? Wait a while? And should I expect them to bloom next spring? I feel like this would be little different than dividing them, but I'm shocked at having to find somewhere to move "buildings" to & could use some reassurance with regard to the plants!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Must move daffs...when?

If they're inground, and you've had rain, they may well have started into root production already.

So long as their new location is ready, and you can move them with a rootball, or at least keep their new roots cool/damp while transplanting them, I'd do it now so they settle. New bulbs can wait as they are probably still dormant.

Sympathy for your upheaval and I hope the hard work is well rewarded next growing season.

o

Do it now, definitely. And yes, they should bloom next spring because they have already stored everything they need to bloom next year. But don't wait because then they will start their fall root growth.

o

This is September...the weather has still many warm days left and, if you notice, the bulbs are not in the stores yet.
WHY? Because its too early, the soil temperature is still much too high to plant daffs, tulips et al.

Wait.....until the soil temperature is lower; when bulbs are in the stores and the time is right to plant them.

To remind you....go to that calendar hanging on your refrigerator and mark across the OCTOBER pages...

BUY BULBS, PLANT BULBS.....RE-PLANT BULBS.

This will keep the job in your mind that it has to be done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here