Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing hyacinths

Posted by nikhilkumar 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 21:10

I have planted a bunch of hyacinths about 4-5 years ago and they have been blooming each time. I was wondering if:

1. Divide them now (rather than in spring). Its still about 80, but the temperature will drop soon.
2. Should hyacinths be divided at all?

Looking for input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing hyacinths

Are we talking Dutch hyacinths (Hyacinthus orientalis) or grape hyacinth, Muscari species?

Dutch hyacinths are typically not divided. In fact, the bulbs' vigor and size tend to decline in subsequent years so these are often treated as annuals and replanted yearly. Grape hyacinths (muscari) naturalize readily and are often divided. This does help maintain bulb vigor as well as good spacing. Dividing is best done when the bulbs are dormant....like right now :-) Spring blooming bulbs start emerging from dormancy with root growth as soon as both air and soil temperatures start to cool.

o

Dutch Hyacinths, not Muscari... Oh well, I thought Hyacinths were naturalizing...

o

What is the Zone for Dutch Hyacinth? I'm Zone 4 or Zone 5A.

o

I've had Dutch Hyacinths growing for over 15 years...and they just keep on multiplying... Definitely dig them up now and replant/divide... In fact they may be the most dependable perennial bulb (other than Spanish bluebells and muscari...LOL) in my garden! They may do better in some areas of the continent than others...I'm in the PNW.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here