Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oriental lilies in pot

Posted by mamta 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 29, 09 at 21:35

Hello everyone, I got oriental lily bulbs from costco in spring this year and planted them in pots. They bloomed nicely in june and now have died back. As suggested in some blogs, I kept watering the green stalks after the blooming season was over, so that the plants can store energy in their bulbs for the next season. As the stalks yellowed and died I removed them. My question is where should I store the bulbs now? Should I leave them in pots? When should I again start watering the pots in that case? Do the bulbs need some moisture to survive or they will be fine if left in dry soil in pots? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oriental lilies in pot

I just leave them in the pots outside over winter and they grow and bloom next year even better. I am in zone 8B and they winter over with no problem. If I want more I will dig them up and divide so that each division has a part of the base and they will grow and bloom the next year. Al

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 1, 09 at 0:33

Unlike many "bulbs", Lilies don't go completely dormant, so digging them up and storing them in a bag out of the soil should not be done. I've had Asiatic lilies in pots and they did fine for about 3 years provided I watched the watering when they weren't actively growing. Too much water in the winter leads to mush in the spring. What I would do is about mid September, just as it's cooling down a bit, unpot them, change out the potting soil and then replant them in the pot. This is the normal time in my area for planting them in the ground as it's still enough time for a root system to develop before winter sets in. In doubt about the timing you could always wait until early spring to repot them.

o

Minimum size container for oriental lilies seems to be 2 gallons and they appreciate a change of mix after two years (assuming you've top dressed them with compost and/or something like dry sheep manure pellets between changes.) They do like being fed.

If you have a lot of rain over the winter check early that your pots are free-draining and put them on pot feet. 'Damp - not drowned' for lilies.

Keep an eye out in early spring for the first slugs and snails. Fresh lily tips are nearly as yum! as Hostas...

o

Thanks everyone! I guess, I will leave them in pot and re-pot them in spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here