Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crocosmia lucifer-bulb/seed question

Posted by Woodsy Z6 W PA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 20, 05 at 21:48

I have frequented the GW for some years, but this is my first visit to the Bulbs forum. Hello to everyone.

A friend of mine has Crocosmia Lucifer that blooms wonderfully for him..and he just gave me some seeds he gathered from his plants. I have searched other areas of the web for information on the seeds..but have really found nothing that explains how and when to plant them..I've only seen that they are for sale.

I am looking for specific information on when to plant the seeds...in fall or wait until the spring..and are there any particular things I need to pay attention to when planting them?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you would care to share.

Woodsy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crocosmia lucifer-bulb/seed question

This is what my book "Plant Propagation" says about planting crocosmia seeds:

Sow the large seeds as soon as they are ripe in a soil-based potting mix. Cultivars sometimes self-sow; grow the seedlings apart to preserve the true cultivar strain.

o

Seeds will not produce a true 'Lucifer'. Get bulbs, faster and better.

o

I agree - get bulbs. Seeds sometimes take a few years to reach blooming size. I don't think that Crocosmia bulbs are very expensive either. You can probably find them at your local Home Depot, Lowe's or Walmart right about now.

Susan

o

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions and share your comments.

I am going to plant the seeds now..and see what surprize I will get from them..and I am also going to look for some bulbs this week end. I will add the bulbs to my hummingbird patch..and place the seeds by the split rail fence...am curious to see how they compare.

Thanks again for sharing...
Woodsy

o

I planted a bunch of seed indoors about the same time as tomatoes and then put them outdoors still in their pot, and had some small bloomers this year. pretty easy. You have nothing to lose. Its a bulb I wouldn't pay for and the seeds were free.

o

Out of curiosity I have planted last years seeds this spring. No special "cold" treatment, just regular potting soil. All came out. Right now they are about 6" tall and I will re-plant them separate. VERY EASY if you don't care about "brand". Any way, all crocosmias are cute, may be you even will get something "special".

o

At what stage did you harvest the seeds?

o

We have the NCCPG National Collection of Crocosmia here in England.
The invasive form of crocosmia is the crocosmia x. crocosmiiflora it is *the orange one* as many call it. It has taken over in some places in Ireland and In southern England mostly in ditches and hedgerows.
We harvest the seed when the pods turn brown and the tops of them start to crack. We plant them up in Feb in individual pots since the roots are very tender on the seedlings. All crocosmia do their growing in the winter so they can put up new plants in the spring, so be careful when repotting or moving them as you may snap off new growth.
The seed does not need cold treatment nor do the corms.
If you get seedling to sprout and grow they are called a seedling of...lets use Lucifer....... they would be Lucifer seedling until stability is established and then you could go for a PBR and name them.
We have a website that may answer any other questions or you can e-mail me anytime....

Lauri

Here is a link that might be useful: The Crocosmia Gardens

o

Lauri,

Thanks for the link for "The Crocosmia Gardens." Many of the crocosmia on the site is not available in the US. I am wondering why that is?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here