Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairfield8619

Can you id these tubers?

fairfield8619
12 years ago

I guess that they are tubers- they look familiar to me somehow. I was rustling spider lilies in the middle of an vacant lot when I dug them up and these came with them. Just a vacant lot in an older run down neighborhood. Certainly somebodies yard long ago- from the 30's, 40's. I thought they looked somewhat like caladiums so I pulled one of mine up to compare- not a match. Nothing but bermuda grass there. The "roots" are very wirery nothing like caladiums. You can see in the pic a leaf or shoot sprouting- looks like a leaf to me. That would mean a dicot not an irid or lily I guess. Someones long ago flower bed. It's not something like a Jerusalem artichoke is it! Anyhow I will plant them and see what happens.

{{gwi:26708}}

{{gwi:26710}}

{{gwi:26711}}

{{gwi:26713}}

Comments (8)

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Well, they look suspiciously like the tubers (or rhizomes, whatever botanically they might be) of my pink oxalis, O. tetraphylla.

If those new shoots turn into "4 leaved clovers" with a dark splosh in the center, that's what you've got.

• pizzuti
    12 years ago

Now there's a challenge! The "tubers" seem to be stacked vertically (new ones forming on top of old ones), which strikes me as being more like corms than tubers.

That makes me think monocot... arum is probably the right direction.

Perhaps it is a close relative of caladium?

It appears to be summer-dormant, and to be producing new shoots in fall, so how many arums do that? Arum Italicum is one that does, but I think the roots are much smaller.

Seems like it's already growing so I'd love to see how the leaves look in just a couple weeks when they mature.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for looking at them. I will post back when they have grown. I potted them up and now just the wait- Love a mystery find! Should be quick I think. Hope it's something good.

• vetivert8
    12 years ago

I second the Oxalis proposal.

And, if it is - a pot is the safest place for them... :-(((

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here they are- these don't seem to be the same that I fight in the flower beds. They have small corms and little bulblets all around the bottom. I rip them out buy the handfuls. Scott Ogden in his book bulbs for the south seems to indicate that Oxalis crassipes has a thick starchy tuber with potato-like bublets on it. I've never seen that in my beds. Could this be it?
    {{gwi:26714}}
    {{gwi:26715}}
    {{gwi:26716}}
    {{gwi:26717}}

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Well, it's not O. tetraphylla, which has 4 leaflets per leaf, and is generally also variegated with a splash of purple-burgundy towards the center of the leaf.

Looks a lot more like Oxalis purpurea Grand Duchess Lavender to me. This one has 3 leaflets and the flowers look right to me. However, if the photo color is skewed on my screen or in your photos, it could be Grand Duchess Pink -- there really isn't that much difference in color between the two, the lavender is a pink-lavender, and the pink is a pepto bismol pink shade.

• vetivert8
    12 years ago

Do not let it loose in the garden...

But I say that about any/all Oxalis ;-))))

You will probably need to repot annually as they bulk up rapidly. Some are right at home in full sun and others prefer light shade/woodland. You look to have conditions 'just right' for that species.

Love that blue-green in the leaves. Very attractive.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I have Oxalis that makes little pink flowers and has corms that look just like those in your picture. I don't know why people don't like these. I sift through sod when I dig it up to make sure I don't toss any of these, which I did a lot of this year. I put them all around the "front" of my beds. Can't wait to see how they look next spring!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths