Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lily51_gw

does anyone plant fall flowering bulbs?

lily51
13 years ago

Spring flowers from bulbs are some of my favorite plants here in Ohio. I have many kinds of daffodils/jonquils on our front hill, plant tulips every fall, hyacinths, grape hyacinths, snow drops, crocuses...the list goes on.

Does anyone know about the fall-blooming bulb varieities? I have never planted any and know little about them.

Are they planted in the spring? What are some types and what are your favorite soursce for them?

I always said i wished daffodils would bloom all year. Now at least they can be enjoyed for two seasons.

Comments (9)

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

Nerine and Lycoris varieties both flower in autumn - and so do some Oxalis. A generous trough of Oxalis massonorum with its orange and yellow flowers can be an autumn delight. They're summer dormant and in leaf over winter so they might/will need some protection in your zone.

You'd either buy them already in flower, or ask for them over the summer when they are dormant.

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

Oh, and Sternbergia and Colchicum, of course. Plus Crocus serotinus salzmannii which has l-o-n-g leaves over winter and inspires thoughts such as, 'Gee, that grass is getting long! I'd better weed!' But the flowers are pleasant and many. Plus Crocus sativus - saffron - which needs Management to reliably flower. Not a good candidate for naturalising. :-)))

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

Lycoris bloom here in late July, Colchicums are blooming now. Sternbergia and other autumn crocus are much later, as is Sativa, the saffron crocus. Here I have them in the herb garden in a hot, dry spot and they come back and increase every year. I have some pretty red nerines that are blooming now, and am on the hunt for some white and yellow ones, which I saw somewhere in a catalog but can't remember where now!

But I am not aware of any fall-blooming daffodils. Some iris rebloom in the fall.

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

I found the source for nerines, it is Van Bourgandien. They have yellow, ornage, red and white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutch bulbs

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

Be careful when buying bulbs as many are not hardy in your zone, and mine.

There are not presently any actual fall blooming daffodils commercially available, that I know of. There are some, but as far as I know, are very scarce. A local daff collector has a couple that were given to her, by daffodil breeders, I think. I'm not sure if they are hardy or not though as she has them in pots.

Nerines are not hardy for us.

Sternbergia lutea, sometimes called Fall Daffodil though it really isn't) is also not hardy for us.

Most, if not all fall blooming crocus and colchicum should be hardy in your zone.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall blooming bulbs

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

There are some fall blooming daffodils

N. viridiflorus
    N. serotinus
    N. cantabricus
    N. pachybolbus
    N. broussonetti
    N. elegans

I don't know specifics of them

The Sternbergia lutea reliably comes back every year here in Central Indiana, It's hardy to -10F or so.

• lily51
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for all the information.l some of these i have not heard of, so it's always good to learn new things. Don't think the greenhouses around here have them. (I don't really buy from the box stores)

The VanBoandien site looks good mosswitch.

I have heard of the fall crocuses, so will see about those next year. Maybe the fall daffodils are for warmer climates than mine,,, but I really think I saw some light yellow ones blooming the other day in front of a house. they were smaller and looked like the double ones that bloom here in the spring.

Well, if nothing else, I'll get busy planting bulbs now for next spring. Always on the lookout for someting new.

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

I did a search for thos fall blooming daffodils, could not find any offered for sale in the US. All the sites offering them were in the UK. If anybody knows of any, it would be helpful to post it.

Most of the fall blooming daffodils appear to be species types that are very small, except maybe the Narcissus Elegans which sort of looks like N. Poetica. None really look like the spring blooming variety.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

but I really think I saw some light yellow ones blooming the other day in front of a house. they were smaller and looked like the double ones that bloom here in the spring.
    Could you maybe get a pic or ask the neighbor what they are?

I did a search for thos fall blooming daffodils, could not find any offered for sale in the US. All the sites offering them were in the UK. If anybody knows of any, it would be helpful to post it.

Ok, I found an article covering several of them. They are not very hardy...writer is in Ohio and says the winters are too cold to grow them outdoors unprotected.

Here is the article Fall and Winter Blooming Daffodils. Page 2 of the article lists sources. It lists the site below as having some fall bloomers available.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Nancy R. Wilson SPECIES & MINIATURE NARCISSUS

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths