Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bulbs in the Baltimore/Washington DC area

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 22:27

I'm in Howard Cty, MD, just west of I-95.

I see lots of daffs and tulips here in spring. Not many crocuses, but a few.

What does and does not do well here? If you compare to my native state, Ohio, what's no longer an option, and what opens up as an option?

A few that I like if someone can chime in:

Colchicums - do these do well here? Do they perennialize?

True autumn crocus?

Spring-blooming crocuses

Lycoris? I grew L. squamigera in Ohio, but here I presume that not only these, but the L. radiata etc are OK?? How about Crinums or Nerines?

Based on our average January highs being under 45 degrees, I assume that "chilling hours" for most plants are sufficient. Soils do get cold (usually under 40 degrees) although rarely freeze to any real depth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bulbs in the Baltimore/Washington DC area

I have grown crocus. The critters like them above and below the ground. Crocus tommasinianus do better for me. The bloom is not as large as Crocus versus but they are pretty. I have L. radiate and they do okay. I love the large allium, Ambassador, Globemaster, etc. The deer leave them alone. I just canceled my tulip order because of the deer. I am planting deer resistant varieties instead.
Ree in Montgomery Co., MD

o

vernus not versus. Jeez.

o

I'm pretty new to bulbs in general, but I'm growing daffs, crocus, dahlias, glads all successfully out about an hour west of you in VA. I've added snake heads fritillaries, Grecian windflowers, winter aconites, Siberian squill, and silver bells, literally, just today so we will see how those go!

o

I'm very late with this reply but I'm in southern Frederick County and grow hybrid and species crocus for spring bloom as well as fall blooming crocus (just starting to bloom now). Colchicum are easy but spread slowly. Lycoris squamigera no problem but nerines and L. radiata have failed for me due to cold, although with our last two winters being so warm they probably would have been fine.
I have four large crinum clumps (10 years old) which I mulch heavily in late fall with shredded leaves but for all I know they might be fine without the mulch. I just don't want to take the chance. Also bletilla (hardy ground orchid) is very easy and spreads well. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here