Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas on what to plant with Spanish bluebells?

Posted by apriljoeysmom 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 22:31

I have just ordered some Spanish bluebells and was wondering if any of you have suggestions for what I might plant along with them, either for a companion that blooms at same time or later. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas on what to plant with Spanish bluebells?

apriljoeysmom - I suggest you have a look at this thread. You may find there is no space for companions after a while. If your climate is not one in which the bluebells will go mad, Doronicums would look jolly with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish bluebells

o

They are so vigorous in my garden that they even kill shrubs. Let alone other bulbs and perennials. I've been trying to eradicate them for over a decade and I didn't plant them in the first place. I removed lawn and created beds and up they came.....

o

We moved into my parent's-in-laws house 26 years ago when we bought their farm. I have much more extensive gardens than my mother-in-law had but there are a few things here that she grew that I haven't been able to get rid of-a few peonies, jerusalem artichoke and spanish blue bells. The bluebells or wood hyacynths she called them- are only in one small garden alongside my house that never gets enough moisture and even though I try every year to pull them out after they bloom they still keep multiplying. I have dug out hundreds when we fixed the house foundation and that only inspired them to do better. When the blooms are done the foliage falls flat on everything else and then gets slimy. They can't be like other bulbs because I never give the foliage time to die off but they still grow. They whole works gets yanked as soon as the blooms are done.
I would never plant them in a flower bed-maybe in the woods or a wide open space that they can multiply in. Very pretty but too invasive for me.

o

I have a few under a spruce tree---it is dry shade and they are not trying to take over---but they do look nice. Mine are with sweet woodruff (also will take over elsewhere but tamer in the dry shade) and some grape hyacinths -- and crocuses and squills, though they do not bloom at the same time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here